Church of St Peter, Lordship Lane, Camberwell SE22 - Southwark

Work started on this church, by Charles Barry Jnr, in 1873 on land gifted by Dulwich College for a new parish formed from St Giles Camberwell. The tower and spire were completed in 1875 and the vestry enlarged in 1893. The Church of England closed the church in 1984 and sold it to Worth Abbey who then sold it to the Deeper Life Bible Church. Masonry is in Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings, with banded London stock and red brick internally. Slated roofs of the nave and timber-framed spire are in bad condition. There is settlement on the north side aisle and the parish hall is derelict.

Church of St Peter, Lordship Lane, Camberwell SE22 - Southwark
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1385670
  • Local Planning Authority: Southwark
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Peter
  • Street Name: Lordship Lane
  • Postcode: SE22
  • Locality: Camberwell
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Southwark
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Dulwich and West Norwood
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Very bad
  • Priority: A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: A
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England