Church of St John, North Road - Lancaster

Church built in 1755, with a tower by Thomas Harrison added in 1784. Nave with galleries to three sides and original box pews. Closed in 1983 and in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Damged by flooding in 2015 and currently unoccupied. Structural movement at the east end has resulted in instability and cracks in the outer ashlar masonry and plaster. Water ingress problems are also occurring below the tower. Gutter blockages have resulted in water ingress and dry rot is now affecting the roof timbers.

Church of St John, North Road - Lancaster
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JOHN
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1289679
    Local Planning Authority:
    Lancaster
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St John
    County:
    Lancashire
    District / Borough:
    Lancaster
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Lancaster and Fleetwood
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Part occupied/part in use
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Charity (heritage)
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, CA