Shaw House, Shaw cum Donnington / Newbury - West Berkshire (UA)

C16 or early C17 garden laid out by the Dolman family and a complex of early C18 water gardens by the Duke of Chandos. Bought by Berkshire County Council in 1946, National Lottery Heritage Fund and Historic England grants in 2005 restored the house as a conference centre and heritage attraction which opened to the public in 2008. The development of an academy school, fragmented land management and poor public realm affects views and landscape components. A Conservation Management Plan funded by Historic England is now being undertaken to understand and sustain significance and manage change.

Shaw House, Shaw cum Donnington / Newbury - West Berkshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Shaw House
    Heritage Category:
    Registered Park and Garden grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1001446
    Local Planning Authority:
    West Berkshire (UA)
    Site Type:
    Gardens parks and urban spaces > Garden

Location

    Unitary Authority:
    West Berkshire (UA)
    Parish:
    Shaw cum Donnington / Newbury
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Newbury
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Park and garden
    Condition:
    Extensive significant problems
    Vulnerability:
    Medium
    Trend:
    Declining
    Ownership:
    Local authority, multiple owners
    Designation:
    Registered Park and Garden grade II, 6 LBs, 2 CAs