Grimsby Haven Lock and Dock Wall 58 metres Long adjoining to West, Lock Hill - North East Lincolnshire (UA)

Lock basin and quayside wall by John Rennie, built 1798/1799. This lock separated the tidal haven from the Humber estuary, creating the first dock at Grimsby. Vaulted dock walls were employed here; an innovative form of dock construction later replicated at Hull and Grimsby on a much larger scale. The lock and dock walls are now partly covered by spoil. Localised collapse, open joints, missing and broken bollards and railings signal the neglect suffered by this historic structure.

Grimsby Haven Lock and Dock Wall 58 metres Long adjoining to West, Lock Hill - North East Lincolnshire (UA)
© E.Ravenscroft/ENGIE/NELC

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: GRIMSBY HAVEN LOCK AND DOCK WALL 58 METRES LONG ADJOINING TO WEST
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1379856
  • Local Planning Authority: North East Lincolnshire (UA)
  • Site Type: Maritime > Dock and harbour installation

Location

  • Building Name: Grimsby Haven Lock and Dock Wall 58 metres Long adjoining to West
  • Unitary Authority: North East Lincolnshire (UA)
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Great Grimsby
  • Region: East Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Vacant/not in use
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Commercial company

Contact Details

Ben Robinson 01480 412107

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England