Gatehouse to former Caynton Manor, Edgmond - Telford and Wrekin (UA)

The gatehouse at Caynton Manor is the only intact survivor of a historic manorial complex. The building's upper rooms have elaborate decorative plasterwork friezes and an overmantle featuring the arms of the Yonge family with the date 1635. Little is known of the building's original context and use, or the house it serve, but it has been used for farm related activities for many years. The building is derelict, has assorted building fabric defects and its setting is compromised by the close proximity of a C19 barn and other later additions. The gatehouse was listed grade II* in October 2018.

Gatehouse to former Caynton Manor, Edgmond - Telford and Wrekin (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Gatehouse to former Caynton Manor
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1459113
    Local Planning Authority:
    Telford and Wrekin (UA)
    Site Type:
    Gatehouse

Location

    Building Name:
    Gatehouse to former Caynton Manor
    Street Name:
    Caynton
    Unitary Authority:
    Telford and Wrekin (UA)
    Parish:
    Edgmond
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    The Wrekin
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Ownership:
    Private