8, 8a, 9 and 9a, George Row - West Northamptonshire (UA)

The Northampton & County Club occupies one of the town's most important buildings. Its medieval vaulted cellars survived the Great Fire of Northampton in 1675. The building later became Northampton's first Infirmary. There is a notable C17 staircase and ceiling and a C19 billiards room. The building suffers from cumulative alterations, under-use and lack of repair. A condition survey and options appraisal were completed with Historic England funding in 2014. Historic England discussed a grant for selected priority repairs with Club management, but this was not progressed.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    8, 8A, 9 And 9A, George Row, NN1 1DF
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1039667
    Local Planning Authority:
    West Northamptonshire (UA)
    Site Type:
    Education > Institute

Location

    Street Number:
    8, 8a, 9 and 9a
    Street Name:
    George Row
    Unitary Authority:
    West Northamptonshire (UA)
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Northampton South
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Occupied/in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Private
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Ben Robinson