Guise Mausoleum to north west of Church of St John the Baptist, Stroud Road, Brookthorpe, Elmore - Stroud

Built in 1733 for Sir John Guise of Elmore Court and his family in neoclassical style, as an exact copy of what the commissioner thought to be Virgil's tomb in Italy. The monument, which includes a burial vault, has been left ruinous after the collapse of its pyramidal roof in the early C20. The ashlar and decorative elements which remain have been affected by weathering and erosion. Vegetation has also taken hold of the plot and is obscuring some of the masonry.

Guise Mausoleum to north west of Church of St John the Baptist, Stroud Road, Brookthorpe, Elmore - Stroud
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: The Guise Mausoleum
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1247875
  • Local Planning Authority: Stroud
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Commemorative monument

Location

  • Building Name: Guise Mausoleum to north west of Church of St John the Baptist
  • County: Gloucestershire
  • District / Borough: Stroud
  • Parish: Elmore
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Stroud
  • Region: South West

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Very bad
  • Occupancy / Use: Not applicable
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Ownership: Charity (heritage)

Contact Details

Alessandra Perrone 0117 975 1345

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England