Sandfields Pumping Station east Building, Chesterfield Road, Lichfield - Lichfield

This C19 engine house was built in 1872-3 by Henry Naden for the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company as an extension to their 1858 engine house, demolished when the replacement pump house was constructed in 1966. One of only four pumping stations in England to retain its original Cornish beam engine in situ, water extraction ceased in 1997 and the surrounding land was developed as housing. The building was upgraded to II* in 2014 and is currently unused. Negotiations between the owner Persimmon and the Lichfield Waterworks Trust to lease the building and open it to the public are on-going.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Engine House At Sandfields Pumping Station
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1187742
    Local Planning Authority:
    Lichfield
    Site Type:
    Industrial > Water regulation installation

Location

    Building Name:
    Sandfields Pumping Station east Building
    County:
    Staffordshire
    District / Borough:
    Lichfield
    Parish:
    Lichfield
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Lichfield
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Commercial company

Contact Details

John Tiernan 0121 625 6839