'E' Magazine (Building 436) and Enclosing Walls, Priddy's Hard - Gosport

E Magazine and its enclosing traverse walls all date to 1878/9. Located within one of the demi-bastions to the C18 defences at Priddy’s Hard, it was built for the bulk storage of gunpowder. Priddy's Hard retains the best-preserved range of structures that relate to this remarkable history of continual enlargement and adaptation, one that encompasses that of Britain's dominance as a sea power on a global scale. It was converted to a cordite magazine in 1913. Proposal to convert building to micro- brewery has received planning permission and listed building consent.

'E' Magazine (Building 436) and Enclosing Walls, Priddy's Hard - Gosport
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    'E' MAGAZINE (BUILDING 436) AND ENCLOSING WALLS
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1234622
    Local Planning Authority:
    Gosport
    Site Type:
    Defence > Military building

Location

    Building Name:
    'E' Magazine (Building 436) and Enclosing Walls
    County:
    Hampshire
    District / Borough:
    Gosport
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Gosport
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Ownership:
    Charity (heritage)
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, SM, CA