Swing bridge, near Rewley Road - Oxford

Rewley Road Swing Bridge is a disused railway swing bridge over Sheepwash Channel in west Oxford. The bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson and built in 1850-1. It was reconstructed in 1890 and 1906, latterly using steel girders. The bridge closed to passenger traffic in 1951 and to goods in 1984. The bridge is suffering from rapid decay of the plating and paintwork protecting the 1850s mechanism and early fabric. Historic England provided grant aid towards investigation work and the repair. Work on site is due to commence in the summer of 2019.

Swing bridge, near Rewley Road - Oxford
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Swing bridge, LNWR Station
    Heritage Category:
    Scheduled Monument
    List Entry Number:
    1003651
    Local Planning Authority:
    Oxford
    Site Type:
    Transport > Railway transport site

Location

    Building Name:
    Swing bridge
    Locality:
    Jericho
    County:
    Oxfordshire
    District / Borough:
    Oxford
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    F
    Ownership:
    Charity (heritage)