Former Church of St John the Divine, Railway Street, Chatham - Medway (UA)

Closed Italianate style church of 1820-21 by Sir Robert Smirke, 1863 apse by GM Hills. Plans are being developed by the Diocese of Rochester to bring this disused church back into use as a place of worship and for community use. Grant to carry out emergency works to the roof and interior rotting timber is now being carried out, part funded by Historic England. Further funding will be required to complete the works to allow the building to be brought back into use.

Former Church of St John the Divine, Railway Street, Chatham - Medway (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1268218
    Local Planning Authority:
    Medway (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Former Church of St John the Divine
    Street Name:
    Railway Street
    Locality:
    Chatham
    Unitary Authority:
    Medway (UA)
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Rochester and Strood
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation