The Cannon Fort and adjoining dock, Newstead Park, Newstead - Gedling

Mock fort, circa 1750 built as an eye-catcher to be seen across the lake and as a mooring for the ship which the fifth Lord Byron kept for entertaining his friends with mock naval battles. Upper lake of medieval origin, extended in the 1740s, is located in the grounds to the west of the abbey. Structurally sound but needs repairs to masonry and clearance of adjacent dock area. Historic England has awarded a grant for project development work.

The Cannon Fort and adjoining dock, Newstead Park, Newstead - Gedling
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: The Cannon Fort and adjoining Dock
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1264406
  • Local Planning Authority: Gedling
  • Site Type: Gardens parks and urban spaces > Garden building

Location

  • Building Name: The Cannon Fort and adjoining dock
  • Street Name: Newstead Park
  • County: Nottinghamshire
  • District / Borough: Gedling
  • Parish: Newstead
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Sherwood
  • Region: East Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Fair
  • Occupancy / Use: Not applicable
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Local authority
  • Designation: Listed Building grade II*, RPG grade II*

Contact Details

Ben Robinson 01480 412107

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England