Horseshoe shaped former stables and stores (City of Birmingham Engineers Depot), 23 Sheepcote Street, Ladywood - Birmingham

Former stables, originally a Corporation Depot built in 1873, the design was the winning competition entry by WH Ward. All four buildings are in poor condition. The Roundhouse is mainly vacant and clearly deteriorating. The Canal and River Trust is working with the National Trust on a mixed use scheme for re-use with a visitor centre and canal related activities. The project has been awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund grant for repairs and refurbishment works.

Horseshoe shaped former stables and stores (City of Birmingham Engineers Depot), 23 Sheepcote Street, Ladywood - Birmingham
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    HORSE SHOE SHAPED FORMER STABLES AND STORES AT NUMBER 23 (CITY OF BIRMINGHAM ENGINEERS DEPOT)
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1220997
    Local Planning Authority:
    Birmingham
    Site Type:
    Stable

Location

    Building Name:
    Horseshoe shaped former stables and stores (City of Birmingham Engineers Depot)
    Street Number:
    23
    Street Name:
    Sheepcote Street
    Locality:
    Ladywood
    County:
    West Midlands
    District / Borough:
    Birmingham
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Birmingham, Ladywood
    Region:
    West Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Part occupied/part in use
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Private