First Leeds White Cloth Hall, 98-101 (consecutive), Kirkgate - Leeds

A rare example of an early C18 arcaded cloth hall, built in 1711. Its construction helped establish Leeds as the mercantile heart of Yorkshire. The building is derelict and deteriorating, the west wing was demolished in 2010. Part of a generally dilapidated block along Kirkgate that is the focus of a Heritage Lottery Fund Townscape Heritage Scheme. Survey work funded by Historic England and Leeds City Council was completed in 2016 and the site was subsequently acquired by a new owner who has successfully obtained Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent for repair and redevelopment.

First Leeds White Cloth Hall, 98-101 (consecutive), Kirkgate - Leeds
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    FIRST LEEDS CLOTH HALL
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1375042
    Local Planning Authority:
    Leeds
    Site Type:
    Commercial > Market

Location

    Building Name:
    First Leeds White Cloth Hall
    Street Number:
    98-101 (consecutive)
    Street Name:
    Kirkgate
    County:
    West Yorkshire
    District / Borough:
    Leeds
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Leeds Central
    Region:
    Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    B - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Commercial company
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, CA