Boathouse 4, Platts Eyot, Hampton - Richmond upon Thames

Timber-framed boathouse clad in corrugated zinc with a Belfast truss roof. It was constructed in 1916 by Augustine Alban Hamilton Scott for the Thorneycroft firm to build fast launches carrying torpedoes for the Admiralty. The roof and zinc sheeting are failing badly in places and the north wall is propped. Whilst patch repairs appear to have been undertaken previously, a comprehensive approach is required. Solutions for this structure will be discussed as part of the expected overall strategy for Platts Eyot island on which the boathouse is located.

Boathouse 4, Platts Eyot, Hampton - Richmond upon Thames
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Boathouse 4
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1261295
    Local Planning Authority:
    Richmond upon Thames
    Site Type:
    Maritime > Marine construction site

Location

    Building Name:
    Boathouse 4
    Street Name:
    Platts Eyot
    Locality:
    Hampton
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Richmond upon Thames
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Twickenham
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Occupancy / Use:
    Occupied/in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Commercial company
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II, CA