Agaton Fort, Plymouth - Plymouth, City of (UA)

One of the ring of C19 land forts built to defend Plymouth. Overlooks River Tamar. Irregular pentagonal plan, with deep ditch on four sides protected by caponiers and a counterscarp gallery. Internally the officer's quarters, cookhouse and barracks, seven of twenty open gun positions, one Haxo casement, five expense magazines and two of previous six mortar batteries survive. Ceased military use in 1958 but was used as Heavy Goods Vehicle testing centre (partly in a modern building) until 2015. Vacancy is concerning and there are significant problems with dry rot and vegetation management.

Agaton Fort, Plymouth - Plymouth, City of (UA)
© Historic England Archive

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Agaton fort
    Heritage Category:
    Scheduled Monument
    List Entry Number:
    1002613
    Local Planning Authority:
    Plymouth, City of (UA)
    Site Type:
    Defence > Fort

Location

    Building Name:
    Agaton Fort
    Locality:
    Plymouth
    Unitary Authority:
    Plymouth, City of (UA)
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Plymouth, Moor View
    Region:
    South West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Fair
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Government or agency