Footbridge to rear of Nos. 52 and 54, The Grove, Upminster - Havering

Footbridge and eye-catcher, circa 1765, probably by James Paine who laid out the estate of Gaynes Park in the 1760s for Sir James Esdaile, Lord Mayor of London 1777-78. Erection of fencing on the bridge has seriously damaged the structure. Extensive vegetation growth is further threatening its stability. Some structural repairs have been carried out in the past but further works are urgently required.

Footbridge to rear of Nos. 52 and 54, The Grove, Upminster - Havering
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: FOOTBRIDGE TO REAR OF NUMBERS 52 AND 54
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1323729
  • Local Planning Authority: Havering
  • Site Type: Gardens parks and urban spaces > Garden building

Location

  • Building Name: Footbridge to rear of Nos. 52 and 54
  • Street Name: The Grove
  • Locality: Upminster
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Havering
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Hornchurch and Upminster
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Very bad
  • Occupancy / Use: Not applicable
  • Priority: A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: A
  • Ownership: Local authority

Contact Details

Martyn Thomas (LPA) 01708 432845

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England