Beaufoy Institute, 39, Black Prince Road, Vauxhall SE11 - Lambeth

Educational building of 1907 (architect FA Powell). The front facade is of brick and terracotta with free Baroque motifs. There is a laboratory wing to the side dating from 1930, and an assembly hall at the rear. The building was vacated by the Lilian Baylis Secondary School in 1999. The building is now occupied and repair works are progressing on the whole site. The 1930s annex has now been refurbished externally with a new roof and replacement windows.

Beaufoy Institute, 39, Black Prince Road, Vauxhall SE11 - Lambeth
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: WESTERN BLOCK OF NUMBER 39 (THE FORMER BEAUFOY INSTITUTE)
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1358193
  • Local Planning Authority: Lambeth
  • Site Type: Education > College

Location

  • Building Name: Beaufoy Institute
  • Street Number: 39
  • Street Name: Black Prince Road
  • Postcode: SE11
  • Locality: Vauxhall
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Lambeth
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Vauxhall
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Fair
  • Occupancy / Use: Occupied/in use
  • Priority: F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
  • Previous Priority: F
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Building grade II, CA

Contact Details

Elizabeth Martin (LPA) 020 7926 1213

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England