Ruins of Chapel of St Thomas of Canterbury, Windlehurst Roman Catholic Cemetery - St Helens

Ruins of a Roman Catholic chantry chapel founded C15, abolished 1548, also known as Windleshaw Abbey. The stonework to the chapel has some erosion and localised inappropriate cement pointing. There is some tree growth at high level, and vegetation growth on the wall heads of the ruined nave. The Roman Catholic Diocesan Surveyors have taken advice from their stonemasons and are considering options for repair. There are broken grave stones in the surrounding graveyard which forms part of the scheduled monument.

Ruins of Chapel of St Thomas of Canterbury, Windlehurst Roman Catholic Cemetery - St Helens
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Ruins of the chapel of St Thomas of Canterbury in the Roman Catholic cemetery in Windlehurst
    Heritage Category:
    Scheduled Monument
    List Entry Number:
    1015604
    Local Planning Authority:
    St Helens
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Chapel

Location

    Building Name:
    Ruins of Chapel of St Thomas of Canterbury
    Locality:
    Windlehurst Roman Catholic Cemetery
    County:
    Merseyside
    District / Borough:
    St Helens
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    St. Helens North
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Scheduled Monument and Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number(s):
    1015604 and 1199094