Orangery with flanking walls, bothies and pavilion (Ripley Castle), Ripley - Harrogate

Classical Orangery in walled garden with flanking pavilions, circa 1785 by William Belwood. One surviving glasshouse, circa 1840, now repaired and the East Pavilion also repaired. Bothies, mostly in poor condition, to rear, although some recently repaired and converted to new uses. The Orangery remains in use, but the balustrade has been dismantled and the cornice has been temporarily supported to prevent collapse.

Orangery with flanking walls, bothies and pavilion (Ripley Castle), Ripley - Harrogate
© Harrogate Borough Council

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Orangery with Flanking Walls, Botheys, Glasshouse and Pavilions
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1315394
    Local Planning Authority:
    Harrogate
    Site Type:
    Gardens parks and urban spaces > Glasshouse

Location

    Building Name:
    Orangery with flanking walls
    County:
    North Yorkshire
    District / Borough:
    Harrogate
    Parish:
    Ripley
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Harrogate and Knaresborough
    Region:
    Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Part occupied/part in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Private
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, RPG grade II, CA