Garrison Church of St George, Grand Depot Road, Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich SE18 - Greenwich

The Garrison Church, designed by two members of the Wyatt family, was completed in 1863. Although severely bomb damaged in1944, the Royal Artillery war memorials survived, including one to those awarded the Victoria Cross. A permanent fabric roof was erected in 2015, grant-aided by the National Lottery Heritage Fund. Two phases of repairs funded by Historic England are now complete with just the altar still undergoing conservation and due to be completed in 2019. The Woolwich Garrison Church Trust is continuing to make improvements to the drainage and the landscape.

Garrison Church of St George, Grand Depot Road, Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich SE18 - Greenwich
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHAPEL OF ST GEORGE (RUIN)
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1078985
    Local Planning Authority:
    Greenwich
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Garrison Church of St George
    Street Name:
    Grand Depot Road
    Locality:
    Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Greenwich
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Greenwich and Woolwich
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Fair
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    F
    Ownership:
    Charity (heritage)