Dovecote at Glebe Farm, Tankersley - Barnsley

Stone built dovecote and cart shed, built in 1735 as part of the Glebe Farm for Richard Goodwin, Rector from 1715 to 1752. A particularly good example, complete with full interior and a rare set of spiked protective grilles over the dove holes. Consolidation works to the fabric of the building have been completed and the owner is discussing plans for reuse with LPA and Historic England.

Dovecote at Glebe Farm, Tankersley - Barnsley
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Dovecote at Glebe Farm
  • Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
  • List Entry Number: 1016549
  • Local Planning Authority: Barnsley
  • Site Type: Agriculture and subsistence > Dovecote

Location

  • Building Name: Dovecote at Glebe Farm
  • County: South Yorkshire
  • District / Borough: Barnsley
  • Parish: Tankersley
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Penistone and Stocksbridge
  • Region: Yorkshire

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Fair
  • Occupancy / Use: Vacant/not in use
  • Priority: E - Under repair or in fair to good repair, but no user identified; or under threat of vacancy with no obvious new user (applicable only to buildings capable of beneficial use)
  • Previous Priority: E
  • Ownership: Private
  • Designation: Scheduled Monument and Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number(s): 1016549 and 1151075

Contact Details

Nicola Brown 01904 601985

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England