Holmslinn lead mine, 200 metres south east of Holmes, Sinderhope, Allendale - Northumberland (UA)

A series of standing and buried remains of one of four mine shafts in the East Allen valley. The shaft, 70 metres deep, was dug in 1855. The tower base enclosing the shaft, the engine bed and wheel pit (grade II listed) is being damaged by tree roots. Parts of the wheel pit collapsed in 2011. A broad repair solution has been agreed, and a Management Plan prepared, with support from Natural England. Funding has yet to be identified for the necessary works.

Holmslinn lead mine, 200 metres south east of Holmes, Sinderhope, Allendale - Northumberland (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Holmslinn lead mine, 200m south east of Holmes
    Heritage Category:
    Scheduled Monument
    List Entry Number:
    1015848
    Local Planning Authority:
    Northumberland (UA)
    Site Type:
    Industrial > Mineral extraction site

Location

    Building Name:
    Holmslinn lead mine
    Locality:
    Sinderhope
    Unitary Authority:
    Northumberland (UA)
    Parish:
    Allendale
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Hexham
    Region:
    North East and Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Private
    Designation:
    Scheduled Monument and Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number(s):
    1015848 and 1154939