Pair of bastles, north-west of the Green at Chesterwood, Haydon Bridge, Haydon - Northumberland (UA)

The site consists of the scheduled remains of four defended farmhouses dating from between 1575 and 1650. Those to the south and west of the Green have recently been repaired and converted to residential use. The pair to the far north-west of the Green are not actively used and are deteriorating. There are areas of loose, unstable and open-jointed stone walling. Discussions are underway with the owner to help bring forward a programme of repairs.

Pair of bastles, north-west of the Green at Chesterwood, Haydon Bridge, Haydon - Northumberland (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Bastles at Chesterwood
  • Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
  • List Entry Number: 1006432
  • Local Planning Authority: Northumberland (UA)
  • Site Type: Domestic > Fortified house

Location

  • Building Name: Pair of bastles
  • Locality: Haydon Bridge
  • Unitary Authority: Northumberland (UA)
  • Parish: Haydon
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Hexham
  • Region: North East

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Not applicable
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: F
  • Ownership: Private
  • Designation: Scheduled Monument and Listed Buildings - 3 grade II
  • List Entry Number(s): 1006432 and 1042501; 1154494; 1154518

Contact Details

David Farrington 0191 269 1230

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England