Harris Institute, Avenham Lane - Preston

Institute by John Welch, built in 1846-9 as Preston Institution for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. Extended in 1883. Sandstone ashlar with slate roof. Plans to bring the building into educational use were unfortunately not taken forward, and the building remains vacant with no future use agreed. There is a risk that dry rot (which was previously eradicated) could re-establish as the building is unventilated and suffering from water ingress.

Harris Institute, Avenham Lane - Preston
© Preston City Council

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    HARRIS INSTITUTE
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1207231
    Local Planning Authority:
    Preston
    Site Type:
    Civil > Public building

Location

    Building Name:
    Harris Institute
    Street Name:
    Avenham Lane
    County:
    Lancashire
    District / Borough:
    Preston
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Preston
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Charity (non-heritage)
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, CA