Dr Johnson public house, Longwood Gardens, Ilford - Redbridge

Moderne-style public house dating from 1937-8 by H Reginald Ross, built to serve the large new estates in Barkingside. The building had been vacant and boarded up since 2010. Enforcement action undertaken by the Local Authority with the support of Historic England ensured that urgent works were carried out by the owners to make the building wind and water-tight, and secure. Conversion into flats and retail premises is underway, and works are near completion.

Dr Johnson public house, Longwood Gardens, Ilford - Redbridge
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    THE DOCTOR JOHNSON PUBLIC HOUSE WITH LINKED LESTER AND CO ESTATE AGENTS, FORMERLY OFF-SALES, AND INCLUDING PUB SIGN
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1392792
    Local Planning Authority:
    Redbridge
    Site Type:
    Commercial > Eating and drinking establishment

Location

    Building Name:
    Dr Johnson public house
    Street Name:
    Longwood Gardens
    Locality:
    Ilford
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Redbridge
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Ilford North
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Fair
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Commercial company