Earl of Essex public house, 616, Romford Road, Newham E12 - Newham

Impressive Edwardian public house by Henry Poston and WE Trent, dating from 1902, on a prominent corner site. The ground floor is empty and boarded up, with no future use identified. The upper floors are occupied. Repairs are needed, particularly to external architectural details. Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent have been granted for the refurbishment and extension of the building for use as a public house and restaurant, with residential accommodation on upper floors. Works have yet to commence on site.

Earl of Essex public house, 616, Romford Road, Newham E12 - Newham
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    EARL OF ESSEX PUBLIC HOUSE
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1357990
    Local Planning Authority:
    Newham
    Site Type:
    Commercial > Eating and drinking establishment

Location

    Building Name:
    Earl of Essex public house
    Street Number:
    616
    Street Name:
    Romford Road
    Locality:
    Newham
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Newham
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    East Ham
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Fair
    Occupancy / Use:
    Part occupied/part in use
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Commercial company