Dovecote adjacent to pond to south east of The Canons, Madeira Road, Mitcham - Merton

The dovecote was built in 1511, being the oldest building in Merton. It is a square structure of chalk blocks and red brick quoins with a hipped tiled roof. There are nesting boxes on the inside of the walls. Funding has been awarded for The Canons by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and the Big Lottery under the Parks for People programme, and the dovecote will be restored as part of these works.

Dovecote adjacent to pond to south east of The Canons, Madeira Road, Mitcham - Merton
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    DOVECOTE ADJACENT TO POND TO SOUTH EAST OF THE CANONS
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1080904
    Local Planning Authority:
    Merton
    Site Type:
    Agriculture and subsistence > Dovecote

Location

    Building Name:
    Dovecote adjacent to pond to south east of The Canons
    Street Name:
    Madeira Road
    Locality:
    Mitcham
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Merton
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Mitcham and Morden
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Fair
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    E - Under repair or in fair to good repair, but no user identified; or under threat of vacancy with no obvious new user (applicable only to buildings capable of beneficial use)
    Previous Priority:
    E
    Ownership:
    Local authority
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II, CA