Trinity Hospital, Hospital Lane, Clun - Shropshire (UA)

Known as The Hospital of the Holy and Undivided Trinity, these almshouses were founded in 1607 by Henry Howard, Earl of Northampton, and built in 1618. A Warden's house and chapel were added in the second half of the C19. Parts of the perimeter wall, which incorporates a mortuary, are in very poor condition and some sections have collapsed. Large parts of the wall are colonised by vegetation and saplings which threatens further instability and loss of integrity. An Historic England Repair Grant was accepted in 2018 and repairs to the wall are currently in progress.

Trinity Hospital, Hospital Lane, Clun - Shropshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    TRINITY HOSPITAL
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1054455
    Local Planning Authority:
    Shropshire (UA)
    Site Type:
    Domestic > Residential building

Location

    Building Name:
    Trinity Hospital
    Unitary Authority:
    Shropshire (UA)
    Parish:
    Clun
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Ludlow
    Region:
    West Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Charity (non-heritage)
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, CA