Ragged School Museum, 46 and 48, Copperfield Road E3 4RR E3 - Tower Hamlets

The Ragged School, now museum, was opened as a free school for poor children in the East End in 1877 by Dr Barnardo, in converted warehouses on the Grand Union Canal. The brick building remains underutilised due to the deteriorating condition of the roof, originally slated but mostly replaced with asbestos-cement sheeting after a fire in the mid-C20. There are also structural issues and damp problems. The Trust has recently received a grant offer from the National Lottery Heritage Fund for a sustainable repair project.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    46 AND 48, COPPERFIELD ROAD E3
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1065752
    Local Planning Authority:
    Tower Hamlets
    Site Type:
    Education > Institute

Location

    Building Name:
    Ragged School Museum
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Tower Hamlets
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Poplar and Limehouse
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Part occupied/part in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Charity (non-heritage)
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II, CA

Contact Details

Andrew Hargreaves (LPA) 020 7364 5576