Sources of Further Information
Government guidance on neighbourhood planning
- Planning Practice Guidance on neighbourhood planning
- Neighbourhood Planning Guidance Note, November 2012
Joint advice from statutory consultees
Sources of information on the historic environment
- The National Heritage List for England
- Heritage Gateway
- Heritage at Risk programme provides a picture of the health of England’s built heritage alongside advice on how best to save those sites most at risk of being lost forever
- Heritage Counts: facts and figures on the historic environment
- Historic England's web page on the planning system: you can search for advice on a range of heritage issues in the advice section of our website. In particular, refer to our Good Practice Advice Notes and Historic Environment Advice Notes available on our website.
- Streets for All
- The Transfer of Local Authority Heritage Assets
Sources of information on neighbourhood planning
- Various resources issued by Locality, including a Neighbourhood Planning Roadmap
- RTPI Planning Aid Forum
- LinkedIn Neighbourhood Planning Group
- Placecheck provides a method of taking the first steps in deciding how to improve an area
- The Building in Context Toolkit grew out of the publication 'Building in Context' published by English Heritage and CABE in 2001. The purpose of the publication is to stimulate a high standard of design when development takes place in historically sensitive contexts. The founding principle is that all successful design solutions depend on allowing time for a thorough site analysis and character appraisal of context.
- Understanding Historic Places: a web page outlining a number of approaches available for identifying and interpreting the historic dimensions of present day landscapes or townscapes. They can be used singly or in combination, depending on the purpose, scope, and scale of a project.
- Oxford Character Assessment Toolkit
- Your Place Matters
- Our Place Toolkit
Also of interest...
Browse or buy thousands of historic and modern photographs from our image websites and archive services.