This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Green Deal

The Green Deal is a Government initiative launched in 2013 to help property owners make energy saving improvements to their homes.

Although the government no longer provides funding for the Green Deal through the Green Deal Finance Company, you can still obtain a Green Deal assessment to establish what energy saving improvements might be appropriate for your home. However, you would need to fund these improvements yourself.

Taking advantage of the Green Deal

An accredited Green Deal adviser will carry out an assessment of your home using an Energy Performance Certificate to assess likely energy and cost savings if certain improvements are made.

At the same time a detailed occupancy assessment will be made of your property. This information is then gathered together to produce a Green Deal Advice Report.

This report can then be used to arrange for the installation of improvements either from a registered Green Deal provider or installer.

town cottage with front garden


Before a Green Deal Plan can be entered into all the necessary consents need to be in place. You should speak to your local planning authority to see what approvals you need and what type of information is required to process an application. See our page on Consents and Regulations for Energy Improvements to Older Homes for more information.

In addition, under the Green Deal Code of Practice your Green Deal Provider is obliged to "take reasonable steps to provide the improver with general advice on the need to obtain consent for the installation of improvements at the property and who consent may need to be obtained from."

Building Regulations

The work may also need approval under the Building Regulations. These generally apply to new buildings but certain material alterations, such as renewing windows, can trigger the need to comply. Obtaining consent for this work lies with the Provider. See our page on Consents and Regulations for Energy Improvements to Older Homes for more information.

For more general information on the Green Deal see Green Deal: energy saving for your home or business on the Department of Energy & Climate Change website.

Was this page helpful?