Heritage Skills at Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings
A heritage skills programme, supported by the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation, is being delivered during the construction works.
Work placements, site tours and training events are targeted at students and trainees and those already working in construction, such as contractors, craftspeople and other professionals, using the site itself as a tool for learning.
Hard hat tours will offer groups with connections to heritage, construction and local interests, behind the scenes access to see at close hand the complex repairs that are taking place to the roof, brickwork and window openings.
The focus will be on offering opportunities to a diverse range of people particularly those underrepresented in construction careers, including young people and women.
Working on listed buildings, and the estimated 5.5 million traditional (pre-1919) buildings in England, requires particular skills and training.
What's been happening?
With help from our wide range of partners the programme is delivering benefits for people reaching local, national and international learners. The partners involved include the building contractor Croft Building and Conservation Ltd, the companies in the professional team and Shropshire Council.
Please click on the gallery images to enlarge.
Supporting the attainment of qualifications
- Prince's Foundation Building Craft Programme trainees gaining their Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Heritage Skills. Find out what trainees had to say about their time on site.
- 100% achievement for the roofers on the Level 3 Award Understanding Repair and Maintenance of Traditional Buildings
- Architects Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios hosting a Part 2 Architecture student
- Gleeds trainees gaining work based experience on the project that contributes their learning for their BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
Attracting groups usually underrepresented in construction
- Behind the scenes tour of the roof works in progress for Women in Roofing and Historic England BAME Placement students
Work based experience for young learners
- Work experience placement from West Midlands University Technical College
- Work experience in Level 1 bricklaying as part of Shrewsbury College’s Group T level pilot scheme
Promoting understanding of Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings
- Bespoke group visits and training events for University of Leicester, University of Wolverhampton, University of Birmingham’s Ironbridge Institute and Birmingham City University, and a hands-on session in traditional brick making for Shrewsbury College’s Group students.
Site Based Work Experience Placement 2019
Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings, Spring Gardens, Shrewsbury, SY1 2SZ
This is a site based work based placement at the Historic England project at the Grade I Listed Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings. The placement provider is Croft Building and Conservation Ltd. Placements are available in various trades around the works to repair the:
- Slate roof coverings
- Timber roof structures
The placement will be on the construction site at the Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1 2SZ
What will you gain?
- Practical and hands-on experience in your trade on a Grade I listed building
- Improved understanding of traditional building materials and construction
- A bursary payment of £500 per week (£100 per day)
- PPE and tools required will be provided
- Individual Learning Plan to support your learning goals
What will you bring?
- Practical experience working in construction
- Experience of or interest in heritage work
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Be able to work outside and work at heights
The dates are flexible between March and September 2019, for a minimum of 5 days, and up to 6 weeks. The placement can be flexible to fit with your studies or other commitments.
Dates to be agreed with the successful applicants at the start of their placement.
This placement is funded by the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation.
Deadline extended: applications should arrive by 10am on Monday 4 March 2019
Construction Training Coordinator - Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings