Heritage Skills at Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings
Work placements, site tours and training events are targeted at students and trainees and those already working in construction, such as contractors, craftspeople and other professionals, using the site itself as a tool for learning.
Hard hat tours will offer groups with connections to heritage, construction and local interests, behind the scenes access to see at close hand the complex repairs that are taking place to the roof, brickwork and window openings.
The focus will be on offering opportunities to a diverse range of people particularly those underrepresented in construction careers, including young people and women.
Working on listed buildings, and the estimated 5.5 million traditional (pre-1919) buildings in England, requires particular skills and training.
What's been happening?
With help from our wide range of partners the programme is delivering benefits for people reaching local, national and international learners. The partners involved include the building contractor Croft Building and Conservation Ltd, the companies in the professional team and Shropshire Council.
Please click on the gallery images to enlarge.
Supporting the attainment of qualifications
- Prince's Foundation Building Craft Programme trainees gaining their Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Heritage Skills. Find out what trainees had to say about their time on site.
- 100% achievement for the roofers on the Level 3 Award Understanding Repair and Maintenance of Traditional Buildings
- Architects Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios hosting a Part 2 Architecture student
- Gleeds trainees gaining work based experience on the project that contributes their learning for their BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
Attracting groups usually underrepresented in construction
- Behind the scenes tour of the roof works in progress for Women in Roofing and Historic England BAME Placement students
Work based experience for young learners
- Work experience placement from West Midlands University Technical College
- Work experience in Level 1 bricklaying as part of Shrewsbury College’s Group T level pilot scheme
Promoting understanding of Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings
- Bespoke group visits and training events for University of Leicester, University of Wolverhampton, University of Birmingham’s Ironbridge Institute and Birmingham City University, and a hands-on session in traditional brick making for Shrewsbury College’s Group students.
There are no CPD, training and placement opportunities at Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings advertised currently. Check back soon for details when they become available.
Construction Training Coordinator - Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings
Also of interest...
Students gain hands-on experience of traditional construction methods using 18th-century Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings as a site for hands-on learning.