This image shows the decorative commemorative ironwork atop an abutment of the first Blackfriars Railway Bridge, part of which is visible to right. The ironwork commemorates the construction of the bridge in 1864, and bears the rail company's crest.

Date:
1960 - 1972
Location:
Blackfriars Railway Bridge, Bankside, Southwark, Greater London Authority, SE1
Show all locations
Blackfriars Railway Bridge, Blackfriars, City And County Of The City Of London, Greater London Authority, EC4
London Chatham Dover Railway Bridge, City And County Of The City Of London, Greater London Authority, EC4
London Chatham Dover Railway Bridge, Southwark, Greater London Authority, SE1
Reference:
AA066144
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Placeholder image

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Image used in 'London's Historic Railway Stations', p.70. One of the commemorative abutment decorations was renovated and painted in c1990, and can be seen on the Southwark side of the Thames. The bridge was also known as the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Bridge, however it was originally called St. Paul's Railway Bridge, and Blackfriars Station was originally called St. Paul's Station. Both changed their names in the 1930s.

Content

This is part of the Series: GAY01/01 Railway Stations; within the Collection: GAY01 John Gay Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Gay, John

Keywords

Abutment, Victorian Commemorative Monument, Victorian Railway Bridge