An interior view of the double doors to the Chapter House, seen from inside the Chapter House of York Minster, also known as St Peter's Cathedral Church

Date:
1942
Location:
York Minster, Minster Yard, York
Show all locations
St Peter's Cathedral Church, Minster Yard, York
Reference:
AA42/04802
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Chapter House dates to 1275-1290 and is situated north of the choir. It has an L-shaped corridor connecting it to the north-east corner of the north transept. The door to the Chapter House has two entrances with trefoil heads and moulded spandrels. Over the door is a panel with a blind arcade with thirteen arches. The central arch is taller and wider than the rest. Above the arches is a tracery and a moulded pointed arch. On either side of a small relief figure in a niche. On either side of the door are octagonal canopies with niche seats.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Arch, Chapter House, Door, Medieval Cathedral