An interior view of the upper section of the Chapter House entrance in York Minster, seen from inside the Chapter House

Date:
1942
Location:
York Minster, Minster Yard, York
Show all locations
St Peter's Cathedral Church, Minster Yard, York
Reference:
AA42/04812
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Chapter House was built between 1275 and 1290, and is situated north of the cathedral's choir. It is connected to the north-east corner of the north transept by an L-shaped vestibule. The entrance consists of a pair of doors with trefoil heads ana d large recangular panel above. Inside the panel is an arcade of thirteen arches, with the central arch taller and wider than the rest. Above is a tracery and a pointed arch. At either end is a small niche with statuettes. Over the panel is a large blind window with five lights and a tracery with three roundels filled with foils of seven lobes.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Chapter House, Medieval Cathedral