An interior view of Durham Cathedral, showing the triforium and clerestory of the eastern-most bay in the choir

Date:
1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Christ and St Mary the Virgin's Cathedral Church, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05642
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The main body of Durham Cathedral was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations made in the 13th and 15th centuries. The chancel has five bays with a four bay choir and high altar at the east end. This bay was rebuilt in 13th century style, with enriched arches in the triforium and clerestory, and a rib-vaulted ceiling with enriched ribs.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Altar, Chancel, Choir, Vault, Medieval Cathedral