A detailed view of two south-eastern bays in the chancel of Durham Cathedral, showing the triforium arches

Date:
1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Christ and St Mary the Virgin's Cathedral Church, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05643
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The main body of Durham Cathedral was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations made in the 13th and 15th centuries. The chancel has five bays with a four bay choir and high altar at the east end. This bay was rebuilt in 13th century style, with enriched arches in the triforium and clerestory, and a rib-vaulted ceiling with enriched ribs. Between the east and the second bay is an arcade of three tall blind arches with crocketed gabled caps. They have foliage capitals, moulded bands half-way and corbels with carved figures at the base of each pier.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Altar, Blind Arcade, Chancel, Choir, Medieval Cathedral