An interior view of the south transept, seen from the gallery inside the crossing tower of Durham Cathedral

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Christ and St Mary the Virgin's Cathedral Church, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05670
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The main body of the cathedral was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries. The crossing tower has two stages with pairs of tall openings on each side and a stellar vault. Surrounding the tower is a gallery resting on large corbels with a parapet of pierced quatrefoils. The south transept has an east arcade of alternating compound and round pillars, and a chapel in the west aisle. The clock in the south transept is a 1938 reconstruction by S. Dykes Bower. The original was erected by Prior Castell in the late 15th to early 16th century.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Transept, Arcade, Crossing Tower, Medieval Cathedral