An interior view of the east aisle of Durham Cathedral's north transpet, seen from the north-west corner

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Christ and St Mary the Virgin's Cathedral Church, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05672
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The main body of the cathedral was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries. The north transept has blind arcading with overlapping round-headed arches in the east aisle, and compound piers supporting the vaulted ceiling. The aisle arcade has alternating compound and round pillars. At the south end of the east aisle is a monument to Matthew Woodifield, dated to 1826.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Aisle, Blind Arcade, Transept, Medieval Cathedral, Georgian Commemorative Monument