A detailed view of the vaulted western bay of the north nave aisle, underneath the north-west tower, in Durham Cathedral

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Christ and St Mary the Virgin's Cathedral Church, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05692
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral church was originally part of a Benedictine Priory and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The western bays of the north and south nave aisles are underneath the west towers. The north bay has a projecting staircase in the north-west corner, and a door with round-headed window above leading to the galilee on the west side. The ceiling has a cross-ribbed vault, with zig-zags carved into the arches.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Aisle, Galilee, Nave, Vault, Medieval Cathedral