A detailed view of a memorial within a recess in the north wall of the Chapel of Nine Altars in Durham Cathedral

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Christ and St Mary the Virgin's Cathedral Church, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05699
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral church was originally part of a Benedictine Priory and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

There are three memorials within the recess, with a large central piece with a tall urn finial and carved drapery. This central memorial is to Dean Spencer Cowper, dated 1774.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Chapel, Medieval Cathedral, Georgian Commemorative Monument