An interior view of the Chapel of Nine Altars in Durham Cathedral, showing the mid-section of the west wall with a partial view of a statue in the foreground

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Christ and St Mary the Virgin's Cathedral Church, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05704
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral church was originally part of a Benedictine Priory and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The west wall has a blind arcade at the base, and large compound piers. Towards the north is a pointed-arched recess with an opening at the base. In the foreground is the top of Bishop Van Mildert's memorial, dated 1836.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Arch, Chapel, Medieval Cathedral, Hanoverian Commemorative Monument