An interior view of the upper section of the south west wall in the Chapel of Nine Altars in Durham Cathedral

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Chapel Of The Nine Altars, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05713
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral church was originally part of a Benedictine Priory and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The chapel has two tall stages, with a tall narrow arch in the first stage. Above is a gallery or platform at the same height as the triforium, and an opening in the clerestory level.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Chapel, Gallery (Ecclesiastical), Medieval Cathedral