A detailed view of the rib-vaulted ceiling and foliage boss in the south bay of the Chapel of Nine Altars ceiling, most likely seen from the triforium in the west

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Chapel Of The Nine Altars, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05718
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral church was originally part of a Benedictine Priory and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The chapel has a vaulted ceiling with oblong sections running west-east, with carved cross-ribs. Slightly off-ventre is a wreath-shaped bos with foliage designs.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Vault, Boss, Ceiling, Chapel, Medieval Cathedral