A detailed view of the lower two windows in the south-west corner of the Chapel of Nine Altars, seen from a high vantage and showing the platform in front of the windows

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Chapel Of The Nine Altars, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05720
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral church was originally part of a Benedictine Priory and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The south side of the chapel has two pairs of two light windows, with irregular arches in front of them. Over the windows is a circle with quatrefoil, and at the base is a gallery or platform with an opening in the wall.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Arch, Chapel, Gallery (Ecclesiastical), Window, Medieval Cathedral