A detailed view of the entrance to the library in the south cloister passage in Durham Cathedral

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05726
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral church was originally part of a Benedictine Priory and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

South of the south cloister is the library, with is accessed by a large door in the cloister range. The entrance dates to 1684 and consists of a round-headed door flanked by Tuscan columns. They support a frieze wth moulded cornice. The door's arch is moulded and has a large keystone.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Cloister, Door, Medieval Cathedral, Medieval Cloister