An exterior view of the north end of the Chapel of Nine Altars seen from the west, most likely from the north transept with the roof of the north choir aisle in the foreground

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05740
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral was originally a Benedictine Prioiry, and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries. The Chapel of Nine Altars is situated at the east end of the cathedral, and extends to the north and south. The gabled north and south elevations have octagonal turrets with polygonal spires and finials.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Chapel, Nave, Spire, Turret, Medieval Cathedral, Medieval Chapel