An exterior view of Durham Cathedral, showing the south choir aisle and partial view of the Chapel of Nine Altars, seen from the Deanery Garden in the south

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Durham Cathedral, Chapel Of The Nine Altars, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05745
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral was originally a Benedictine Priory, refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The choir has a south aisle with 19th century windows with tracery, two light windows in the triforium and round-headed clerestory windows. The Chapel of Nine Altars is situated at the east end of the cathedral, and extends to the north and south. At the north-west and south-west corners are polygonal stair turrets with blind arcading near the top.

The lower section of the print has been cropped.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Aisle, Chapel, Choir, Medieval Cathedral, Medieval Chapel