A detailed view of the triforium arch in the south-east bay of Durham Cathedrals choir, seen from the north-east triforium bay

Date:
1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05979
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral was originally a Benedictine Priory, refounded in 1541 as a cathedral. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The eastern bay of the choir was rebuilt in the 13th century, and has an embellished two-ordered arch dividing it from the aisle in the south. Above, the triforuim arch has three openings with foliage capitals and dog-tooth moulds. Above are two recessed quatrefoils, and the arch is surrounded by a carved hoodmould.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Arch, Choir, Triforium, Medieval Cathedral